Recently on 21st Sept, we confirmed that the Verizon’s iPhone 5 is indeed GSM unlocked. Even though Verizon iPhone 5 is under contract, an AT&T micro SIM cut to fit in the iPhone 5 was able to use the AT&T service.
Today, a report from the NEW YORK (AP) mentions that Verizon Wireless will never prevent its version of the iPhone 5 from being used on AT&T’s network. The Verizon version of the iPhone 5, which went on sale Friday, came factory unlocked hence it worked on the network of AT&T and others including T-Mobile.
It’s the first time Verizon, the cellphone company, has sold a phone that works on competing U.S networks with no complicated hacking, or “unlocking” procedures. This feature indicates that Verizon’s iPhone 5 mobile user can get the option of switching carriers when the contract expires, or they can sell the phone to someone who plans to use it on a competing network. They will have the option of breaking the contract, after paying an early termination fee, and can sign up for cheaper service depending on their convenience. This will be a comfortable option for those users who wish to travel overseas.
A Howard Forums poster shows that When Verizon purchased its 700MHz spectrum a few years ago, the carrier told the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) it would unlock phones that used this network LTE as part of the deal. Hence Verizon’s iPhone 5 is unlocked forever due to FCC’s agreement stating – “A licensee(Verizon) cannot configure devices to be locked against use on another network”.
Leave a comment
- [Download] Verizon’s Motorola Droid RAZR M Getting Maintenance Update 98.15.66
- [Download] Samsung Galaxy S5 and Tab 7.0 Plus Getting Maintenance Update XXMC3
- AT&T HTC One’s Bootloader Unlocked via HTCDev.com, Root Applied and CWM Recovery Installed
- [Download] Sprint’s Motorola Photon Q Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update 9.8.2Q-122 Available Now
- ZTE Geek Full Specifications And Price Details