Apple has just released iOS 16.4, the fourth major update to the iOS 16 operating system. This update comes nearly six months after the initial release of iOS 16 last September and two months after the launch of iOS 16.3, which added Security Keys for Apple ID. The latest iOS 16.4 update is now available to all users and brings with it several new features that are sure to excite iPhone users.
iOS 16.4 brings a plethora of new features and improvements for iPhone users. One of the most significant additions in iOS 16.4 is a collection of new emojis that includes more diverse and inclusive options. The update introduces 21 new emoji characters, such as shaking head, pink heart, blue heart, gray heart, donkey, moose, black bird, goose, wing, jellyfish, hyacinth, and more.
In addition to the new emoji, the update also brings Safari web notifications for websites added to the Home Screen. With this feature, users can stay up-to-date with their favorite websites and receive push notifications even when the website is not open.
The Voice Isolation feature in iOS 16.4 aims to improve the clarity of cellular phone calls by reducing background noise. It uses machine learning to focus on the user’s voice while minimizing background noise, resulting in clearer and more understandable conversations.
Furthermore, Apple has brought back the Apple Books page turning animation, updated Podcasts, introduced new HomeKit architecture, and made a number of small changes and tweaks to enhance the user experience.
Users can expect better stability, faster performance, and improved security with this latest update. If you haven’t received a notification yet, you can manually check for the update by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone. With iOS 16.4, Apple has once again demonstrated its commitment to providing regular updates and new features to its users.
It’s worth noting that the availability of iOS 16.4 may vary based on region and device compatibility, so not all users may receive the update at the same time. The update is also quite large, and it’s recommended that users have a stable internet connection and enough storage space before initiating the download and installation process. As is often the case with major software updates, it may take some time for the update to propagate to all users, so some users may experience delays in receiving the update.
In addition to the new features and bug fixes included in iOS 16.4, Apple has also released iOS 15.7.4 for users with older devices. This update focuses primarily on security improvements and is aimed at ensuring that older iPhones continue to receive important security updates. Users with older devices are encouraged to download and install the update as soon as possible to ensure the continued security and stability of their devices.
As per Apple’s official changelog, this update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
- 21 new emoji added to the emoji keyboard, including animals, hand gestures, and objects.
- Notifications for web apps added to the Home Screen.
- Voice Isolation feature for cellular calls prioritizes the user’s voice and blocks out ambient noise.
- Duplicates album in Photos now supports detecting duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library.
- VoiceOver support added for maps in the Weather app.
- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected.
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may not appear on the parent’s device.
- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired with Apple Home.
- Crash Detection optimizations for iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models.