The Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 owners in the United States and Canada have cause for celebration today. Nokia has finally started to roll-out OTA update 8.0.10211.204 (also known as PR1.1 or ‘Protico’ update) to the new Lumias with the AT&T and Rogers variants getting it first. The global versions will soon follow. If you’re a Lumia 920/820 owner, you’ve no doubt been wondering when the new update will arrive for your device and how to update it. Wonder no more.
The full changelog of the update 10211:
- Messaging improvements. A great messaging experience is now even better. You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can even edit received text messages before you forward them.
- Text replies to incoming calls. Can’t take a call? Now you can send a prewritten text reply to a caller directly from the call answer screen. It’s a nice way to let people know that you’re not ignoring them.
- Internet Explorer improvements. You can now change your settings to prevent pictures from downloading automatically—an easy way to help keep data usage low. You can also delete selected sites from your browsing history and leave the rest intact.
- Wi-Fi connectivity. Got a favorite Wi-Fi network? Windows Phone 8 will now prioritize Wi-Fi connections based on your connection history.
- Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.
More efficient and reliable Bluetooth connectivity
- More efficient and reliable start-up sequence
- Enhancements in battery management
Fixes for Lumia 920 camera fizzy shots in daylight
- Additional platform updates and enhancements
How To Update Nokia Lumia 920/820 To WP8 OS Version 8.0.10211.204
If your device hasn’t received an update prompt just yet, there is an easy way to check it. Just follow these steps to check.
- # Make sure your handset’s battery is fully charged
# Turn on your Wi-Fi or mobile data. It’s worth noting that if you are not on a data plan it will be expensive to download this update
# Now hit up Settings > Phone Update > Check for Updates on your Lumia 920/820 device
# You will receive a notification on your handset’s screen that an update is available
# Select ‘Install’ button and upgrading process will begin now
# Wait until the installation process finishes. It will hardly take 30 minutes
# Select ‘Done’
# Reboot your handset now
# To confirm OS version on your device, select Settings > About and it should be shown as 8.0.10211.204 and firmware revision should be 1232.5951.1249.0001
Unfortunately, if you own a owner of the global edition of the Lumia 920 or Lumia 820 handset, there’s no official word on when your update will be ready.