After a month of beta testing, Apple finally released iOS 16.3 update for iPhones, as promised in last week. iOS 16.3 build is the third major update to the iOS 16 operating system, which initially rolled out in last September. This update rolled out over a month after the launch of iOS 16.2, adding Freeform app, Apple Music Sing, Advanced Data Protection. The new iOS 16.3 update comes along with all the goodies mentioned below.
iOS 16.3 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. It can take a few minutes for the updates to propagate to all users due to high demand. Apple has also released iOS 15.7.3 for iPhone users who have older devices, with the update offering security improvements.
After upgrading to this new build, iPhone users will get Unity wallpaper, along with support for the second-generation HomePod. The latest iOS 16.3 update introduced the new Security Keys for Apple ID, that gets you physical two-factor authentication that replaces the digital two-factor authentication used for Apple ID logins till now. Through this update, Apple also rolling out Advanced Data Protection for iCloud to all users globally.
Apple has updated Emergency SOS to help you prevent accidental emergency calls. iPhones users will still be able to activate Emergency SOS by holding down the side button with the up or down volume button, and then the call will be placed, when you release the buttons.
This update also included a various bug fixes. It fixes a famous issue which was causing horizontal lines to temporarily appear on the iPhone 14 Pro Max handsets when waking up or restarting them. It is also addressing a bug that could result in the Home Lock Screen widget not accurately displaying Home app status. Apple also fixed Siri bugs related to music requests and CarPlay.
Apple’s full release notes for the iOS 16.3update are mentioned below:
- New Unity wallpaper honors Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month
- Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to strengthen the security of their account by requiring a physical security key as part of the two-factor authentication sign in process on new devices
- Support for HomePod (2nd generation)
- Emergency SOS calls now require holding the side button with the up or down volume button and then releasing in order to prevent inadvertent emergency calls
The iOS 16.3 update also includes the following bug fixes and improvements for iPhone users:
- Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger may not appear on shared boards
- Addresses an issue where the wallpaper may appear black on the Lock Screen
- Fixes an issue where horizontal lines may temporarily appear while waking up iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Fixes an issue where the Home Lock Screen widget does not accurately display Home app status
- Addresses an issue where Siri may not respond properly to music requests
- Resolves issues where Siri requests in CarPlay may not be understood correctly
Owners of the iPhones and iPads can download this over-the-air update by heading into Settings > General > Software Update. If you don’t see the update right away, you need to make sure to keep checking as It can take time for the updates to propagate to all users due to high demand.