Are you still rocking the Motorola Droid R2-D2 handset, which was the special edition of the Droid 2 handset with a special paint on its back side. Verizon is preparing to roll out a new firmware update for the Motorola Droid R2-D2 handset, which bumps the software version up to 4.5.622.A957.Verizon.en.US, and your device will run Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread build once you get the update. The latest update introduce a set of bug fixes, security patches, better data connectivity, updated VZ-branded apps and more.
Here’s the full changelog of the Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread Update (4.5.622) for the Droid R2-D2 handset:
- Enhanced security with DigiNotar security patch.
- Increased browser cross-application scripting for enhanced multitasking stability.
- Device will no longer automatically power on after it has been powered off.
- Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
- Successfully download and save purchased MP3 ringtones.
- Camera settings will be saved, even after the device is powered off.
- Increased device stability when keypad is opened and closed repeatedly.
- Improved 3G data connectivity while using the Mobile Hotspot.
- App shortcuts remain on the home screen after moving them from internal to external memory.
- VZ Navigator is now updated to version 188.8.131.522.
- V CAST Apps is now updated to version 184.108.40.206.
- Successfully play WAV files.
- Contact groups will sort correctly.
- Successfully add application shortcuts or widgets to the home panel without error.
- Fixed issue where duplicate text and multimedia messages were being received.
- Improved ability to access and receive Gmail messages when the Mobile Hotspot is turned on.
- Improved syncing with Yahoo! email.
- Forwarded emails will no longer remain in the outbox when Smart Forwarding is enabled.
The update is expected to roll out within a week and it checks in at 11.9MB. To check manually, run through the Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates options. We will inform you as soon as the update starts rolling out. Don’t expect for an Ice Cream Sandwich update for this one.