After the Asus Transformer Prime tablet, Motorola Xoom is the 2nd tablet that has received Android’s latest and greatest iteration – 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich OS. A few days ago, the Android ICS update roll out (which is a special soak test for the members of Motorola’s official Xoom Support Forum) has begun for a number of users of Motorola Xoom only. The latest buzz is that the Motorola is pushing out the most awaited Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich OS update for every Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi tablet n the U.S. This is the same update as the recent “project” that started last week, bringing the same new build number IML77. This is indeed a great teat for the Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi users. The full changelog of the Android 4.0.3 ICS update is not available yet.
The update is being rolled out through an OTA (Over-The-Air) update process. If everything goes well, OTA update of Android ICS should make its way to your tablet at any moment now. You can also pull the update by following the instructions provided here at below.
# Go to Menu.
# Hit Settings button.
# Select About Tablet button.
# Hit System Updates and hit Check Now button.
# If found the 81.9 OTA update on your screen, tap Install Now button.
# Let the process run for some time.
# Xoom will Reboot automatically after some time.
# That’s it. Enjoy Android 4.0.3 ICS goodies.
Here is the fastest way to pull the OTA update from the sky.
Go to Setting –> Apps –> search for Google Services Framework –> Clear data –> Now go to About Tablet –> System Updates –> then hit Check Now button.
The new build number should be shown as IML77 after installing the Android 4.0.0 ICS update on your tablet. LTE Motorola Xoom owners need to wait for some more days to get it.
Motorola has confirmed that the update is currently rolling out U.S. based Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi units only. Global roll out should start very soon.
Here is the full changelog of the Android 4.0.03 Update for Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi:
- # Updated Browser with faster rendering, zoom and pan: Users can also now save pages for offline reading and request desktop versions of websites.
- # Swipe to dismiss notifications, tasks, and browser tabs: You can now dismiss individual notifications, apps from the Recent Apps list, and browser tabs with a simple swipe of a finger.
- # Redesigned app launcher: In All Apps launcher, you can now simply drag an app to get information about it, immediately uninstall it, or disable a pre-installed app.
- # New System Font for Improved Readability: An entirely new typeface (called Roboto) optimized for high resolution screens improves readability and brings a polished feel to the user interface.
- # Updated “People” Application: Replaces contacts and integrates seamlessly with Google+ and other social networks.
- # Improved text input and spell-checking: The keyboard now features improved accuracy to make text input faster. It also now includes an in-line spell checker to make corrections easier.
- # Type with your voice: Now you can simply touch the microphone on the keyboard and start talking to write emails, SMS, or any other text—more than 20 languages supported. Text appears in real time, so there’s no waiting for server processing.
- # Richer and versatile imaging capabilities: For capturing larger scenes, the camera introduces a single motion panorama mode. Also, you can now take still shots while shooting video just by tapping the screen as video continues to record. You can also launch camera directly from the Lockscreen. When you shoot videos, you can now choose from a number of silly faces and other fun effects which recognize individual facial features so you can give your friends big eyes, squeeze heads, make noses bigger, or change the scenery with background replacement.
- # Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor: To help pictures look their best, the Gallery now offers a powerful photo editor so you can crop and rotate pictures, set levels, remove red eyes, add effects, and much more.
- # Richer, resizable widgets: You can expand widgets to show more content, or shrink them to save space.