The Chinese manufacturer kicked off the Android 13 Nothing OS 1.5 Open Beta program for the Nothing Phone 1 earlier this year, and last week, beta testing ended, and the stable version has been released for the early beta testers, with the rollout expected to expand to all the users over the rest of the week.
Nothing has officially confirmed that they started rolling out the long awaited Android 13 based Nothing OS 1.5 update to everyone across the world. This build is a more polished release than the versions that were available only for beta over the last couple of months. The Android 13 update for the Nothing Phone 1 comes with firmware version Nothing OS 1.5.2. Check the full changelog of the update here at below.
Here’s what’s on offer:
- New Nothing weather app.
- Refined camera app interface.
- Up to 50% increase in app loading speed.
- New Glyph sound pack. More Glyph ringtones and notification sounds.
- More “Material You”, meaning more colour schemes available for matching third party apps to wallpaper.
- Lockscreen shortcut customisations. Create shortcuts for camera, torch, device controls, and wallet.
- Easily switch data usage when using dual SIM with the improved network Quick Settings panel.
- New QR code scanner in Quick Settings and in the camera app.
- Multi-language support that allows different languages for different apps.
- Clipboard preview. Copied text appears on the clipboard in the bottom corner of the screen. So you can directly edit the text before pasting.
- Foreground services. Close active background apps directly from the notification centre to save battery.
- New look for Media Control. Puts album artwork on full display with a wider set of music controls.
- Improved volume control. Easily adjust individual volume sliders without unlocking the screen (e.g. music vs ringtone).
- Less distracting notifications whilst in Game Mode. Now with Google Game Dashboard. Dashboard supports screenshots, screen recording, FPS display, and Do Not Disturb.
- Live caption: detects speech on your device and automatically generates captions.
- Smoother animations when transitioning the display between on and off.
- Photo picker. Choose which images you want to share with each app.
- Media permissions. Group the types of media you want to share e.g., photos and videos, music and audio, files.
- Alerts when an app accesses your clipboard. Then cleared history after a period of time to prevent unwanted access.
- Added Personal Safety app.
- Increased background memory. Reducing the wait for frequently used apps to load.
- New self-repair feature that keeps Phone (1) running like it’s new. By clearing unused cache and expired system dumps.
- Increased system stability.
- General bug fixes.
Let’s go. The official rollout of Nothing OS 1.5 has begun. Powered by Android 13 for our smoothest, most secure user experience.— Nothing (@nothing) February 21, 2023
To upgrade Phone (1), head to Settings > System Update.
Learn more: https://t.co/qfnlBmEDxu pic.twitter.com/ATlYAzfz5b
This is a big update, weighing 1.25GB for the Nothing Phone 1, so it would be better if you connect to Wi-Fi and also make sure ensure you have enough charging in the battery before you begin the installation process.
If the update is available in your region, you can download and install the Android 13 update on the device by navigating to Settings >> System update and tapping Download and install. If it doesn’t show up yet on your handset, be patient, it should hit your device very soon in the coming days.