Android 13 has been making its way to more and more eligible Android devices over the past few months, and it’s now arriving on the Nothing Phone 1. This phone is indeed one of the more unique looking phones around with a distinct design and sleek Glyph lights on the back, and the manufacturer has built a big following before its release. Its software has emerged as one of the Nothing Phone 1’s real highlights, but to be frank, the hype surrounding the device has gone down since its release.
For owners of the Nothing Phone 1, the final stable version of the Android 13 update is now beginning to roll out. The phone was first launched with Android 12 preinstalled, in July 2022. Nothing has been pushing beta builds for the Phone 1, and we also came through the Nothing IS 1.5 Open Beta program for the phone back in December 2022.
The update weighs in at 157 MB and carries the version number Nothing OS 1.5.2. Please note that the update has been spotted in selected regions at this stage. According to the folks over on Reddit, the Android 13 update for the Nothing Phone 1 is currently being rolled out for the users who enrolled in the “Nothing OS 1.5 Open Beta” program, and they should be able to pull the OTA on their handsets. That means the update will be first available to users who participated in the Open Beta program, followed by a gradual push to more users in the coming days.
Notably, the Android 13 update also carries the January 2023 security patch, which means you are fully up-to-date to fight with the vulnerabilities. Here’s the full changelog of the update:
- Weather app
- New Nothing weather app
- Tapping a weather widget on the homescreen now directly opens the corresponding city in the app instead of opening a link.
- All new Glyph soundpack for more ringtone and notification sounds.
- More color schemes available from the wallpaper selector.
- New collection of minimalist wallpapers.
- Icons can match your background color to make your home screen look more consistent.
- Lockscreen shortcut customisations. Create shortcuts for camera, torch, device controls, and wallet.
- Improved experience
- Easily switch data usage when using dual SIM with the improved network Quick Settings panel.
- Automatically show the current network and display how much mobile data you have used in Quick Settings.
- Directly scan a QR code in the Camera app. Scanner also appears as a shortcut in Quick Settings.
- Select language preferences for different apps.
- Visual improvement
- A New look for Media Control. Puts album artwork on full display with a wider set of music controls.
- Improved volume settings panel. Allows granular volume control without unlocking the device.
- Improved Game Mode light notifications. So there is less distraction when you are playing.
- Smoother animations when transitioning the display between on and off.
- More refined Camera app interface.
- Privacy and safety
- Get an alert when an app accesses your clipboard. Cleared history after a period of time to prevent unwanted access.
- Added Personal Safety app.
- Better privacy protection including Photo Picker, nearby Wi-Fi devices permission, and select media permission.
- System performance
- Fingerprint unlock accuracy has improved by up to 12%.
- App startup speed has increased by up to 71%.
- Standby power consumption has improved by up to 50%.
- Implemented a new self-repair feature to periodically delete unused system dumps and cache.
- Increased system stability.
- General bug fixes.