NVIDIA has unveiled the GeForce RTX 4070, the latest addition to its 40-series lineup of desktop graphics cards. This release comes after the launch of the RTX 4070 Ti in January, and is the most affordable option in the series. This graphics card is set to hit the market on April 13th.
It is built using TSMC’s 4nm process and powered by a slightly reduced variant of the AD104 GPU that utilizes NVIDIA’s latest Ada Lovelace architecture. Additionally, the card features DLSS 3 technology.
However, the RTX 4070 has fewer CUDA cores than the RTX 4070 Ti, with 5888 compared to 7680, and a lower boost clock of 2475MHz compared to 2610MHz. The RTX 4070 shares the same memory configuration as the RTX 4070 Ti, with 12GB of high-speed Micron GDDR6X memory on a 192-bit bus, a speed of 21Gbps, and a bandwidth of 504GBps. As we mentioned above, it supports DLSS 3, which makes it 1.7 times faster and 23% more power-efficient than the RTX 3070 Ti, according to NVIDIA. The graphics card can handle a maximum display resolution of 4K at 240Hz and 8K at 60Hz with DSC and HDR.
The GeForce RTX 4070, along with the rest of the 40-series cards, features the 3rd generation RT cores and 4th generation Tensor cores. These cores enable various features such as shader execution reordering and DLSS3 frame generation. Additionally, the RTX 4070 includes the 8th generation NVENC encoder for encoding in AV1, although it has only one compared to the two present on other 40-series cards.
The latest RTX 4070 GPU comes with dual AV1 video encoders, which can be enabled in popular video-editing and livestreaming applications such as Adobe Premiere Pro (via the Voukoder plug-in), DaVinci Resolve, OBS, and Jianying. This feature reportedly results in up to a 20% improvement in video export speed.
The RTX 4070 GPU also supports NVIDIA’s RTX Video Super Resolution (RTX VSR) technology, which enhances the quality of streamed 1080p video on higher resolution displays by utilizing NVIDIA Tensor cores and AI image processing techniques. The feature is now supported by VLC player.
According to NVIDIA, the GeForce RTX 4070 is capable of running demanding games such as A Plague Tale: Requiem, Dying Light 2 Stay Human, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and Warhammer 40,000: Darktide at over 100 frames per second at 1440p resolution, thanks to DLSS 3.
The GeForce RTX 4070 has a total graphics power of 200W and an average gaming power of 186W, according to Nvidia. Despite this lower power consumption, the company claims that it offers the same level of performance as the RTX 3080, which has a higher power consumption. Additionally, the RTX 4070 has 12GB of memory, which is more than the standard 10GB on the 3080. With frame generation, the RTX 4070 is claimed to be 1.4x faster than the 3080 and 2.6x faster than the 2070 Super, which do not support this feature.
Starting from today, April 13th, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 will be globally available, including in India, where it starts at ₹62,000. The Founders Edition in the US is priced at $599 (approximately ₹49,100). Along with Nvidia, the RTX 4070 will be offered by various board partners, including but not limited to ASUS, Colorful, Gainward, GALAX, GIGABYTE, INNO3D, KFA2, MSI, Palit, PNY, and ZOTAC.
Customers purchasing the RTX 4070 and other 40-series cards will receive the new Overwatch 2 Battle Pass Bundle, which includes additional OW2 coins until May 8, 2023.
List of GeForce RTX 4070 cards from ASUS, Colorful, Gainward, GALAX, GIGABYTE, INNO3D, KFA2, MSI, Palit, PNY, and ZOTAC:
- ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070
- ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070
- ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
- ASUS Dual White GeForce RTX 4070
- Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 4070 Vulcan OC
- Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 4070 Neptune OC
- Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 4070 Advanced OC
- Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 4070 Ultra W
- Colorful GeForce RTX 4070 NB EX
- MSI GeForce RTX 4070 GAMING X TRIO 12GB
- MSI GeForce RTX 4070 VENTUS 3X 12GB OC
- MSI GeForce RTX 4070 VENTUS 2X 12GB OC
- Palit GeForce RTX 4070 GamingPro OC
- Palit GeForce RTX 4070 GamingPro
- Inno 3D RTX 4070 ICHILL X3
- Inno 3D RTX 4070 X3 OC
- Inno 3D RTX 4070 TWIN X2 OC WHITE
- Inno 3D RTX 4070 TWIN X2 OC
- Inno 3D RTX 4070 TWIN X2
- GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 4070 MASTER 12GB
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 GAMING OC 12GB
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 AERO OC 12GB
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 EAGLE OC 12GB
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 WINDFORCE OC 12G
- PNY GeForce RTX 4070 12GB XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan Overclocked
- PNY GeForce RTX 4070 12GB XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan
- PNY GeForce RTX 4070 12GB VERTO Dual Fan
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 AMP AIRO
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Trinity
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 ICESTROM 2.0
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 SPECTRA
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 FIRESTROM
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Twin Edge OC