Yesterday, we’ve seen Nvidia announcing the new Tegra 4 processors at CES event. Qualcomm has announced its next-generation Snapdragon processors, by giving a new naming scheme. Qualcomm is calling these new high-performance processors as Snapdragon 600 and Snapdragon 800, 400 and 200. Good bye to S4, S3…. naming scheme. The company hasn’t provided any specific details about the Snapdragon 400/200 chips.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor runs on four new Krait 400 CPU cores – 28nm variants of Qualcomm’s custom application processor, and it will be included with 4 new Krait 400 cores clocked at an incredible 2.3GHz, Adreno 330 GPU (50 percent faster than the Adreno 320), 802.11ac, and a faster LTE radio.
List of the highlights of the Snapdragon 800:
- # Quad Core Krait 400 CPU at speeds up to 2.3 GHz, per core
- # Adreno 330 GPU
- # 2x32bit LPDDR3 RAM at 800MHz
- # 4G LTE Cat 4 and 802.11ac support
- # UltraHD resolution support (4096 × 2304)
- # Support for DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus and 7.1 surround sound
- # Dual Image Signal Processors (ISPs) up to 55MP
- # Up to 75% better performance than the Snapdragon S4 Pro
Coming to Snapdragon 600 processor, it has got four new Krait CPU 300 cores and it will offer 40% more power than the yesteryear’s S4 Pro processor while consuming less battery. But, it holds the older Adreno 320 GPU. But, there will be an increased clock speed in new Snapdragon 600 chip compared to the Adreno 320 GPU in the S4
Take a look at following features of Snapdragon 600 processor:
- # Quad Core Krait 300 CPU at speeds up to 1.9 GHz per core
- # Adreno 320 GPU
- # LPDDR3 RAM support
- # Up to 40-percent better performance than the Snapdragon S4 Pro processor
If you might recall, Nvidia’s new Tegra 4 will have 4 A15 CPU Cores + 72 GPU Cores + 4G LTE modem processor. Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 600 processors are expected to be shipped with commercial mid-rage devices by the 2nd quarter of this year, while the Snapdragon 800 processors will show up in the middle of this year. Qualcomm also said that over 50 devices will be served for the Snapdragon 600 and 800 product lines.